CHAI – Community Health Action Initiative seeks to provide and promote healthy living through education, empowerment, and health access for the underserved in the community. CHAI’s goal is to empower South Asian families to adopt healthier lifestyles, access preventative services, and take positive actions on a broad spectrum of health issues.
CHAI offers the following services:
- Assistance in Accessing Public Benefits and Health Programs
- Health-Focused Home Visits by our Health Advocates
- Assistance in accessing Social Services for Elderly, Children
- Referrals/ Resources to Clinics or Free or Low Cost Health Services for the Eligible.
- Workshops on Breast Cancer and Prostate Cancer Prevention, Stress and Depression, Cardiovascular health, and Nutrition
- Older Adult Walking Club
- Caregivers Support Services
- Language Assistance/ Interpretation
To enroll in public health benefits, please contact Asha at extension 120. For other health information, please contact Muneera at extension 101.
Neighborhood Activities and Nutrition (NAAN) for Seniors: A Walking Club meets twice a week to walk, socialize, and counter feelings of isolation. In the last year, SAN implemented a nutrition program for seniors in Artesia once a week serving healthy South Asian food.
Annual Health Fairs: CHAI team staff and volunteers put together a health fair in various locations for underserved South Asian community members to receive a basic health check up. Services include cholesterol, blood sugar, and hemoglobin tests, as well eye and dental exams, mammograms, clinical breast exams, and pap smears.