We were both well educated and attended college. We even dated before we married in India.
Shortly after my marriage I realized my husband was addicted to drugs. He was, also, extremely abusive, frequently beating and choking me. I learned to hide the bruises and scars from my friends, family and co-workers.
I thought things would get better. They didn’t; they got worse.
I finally left him when he began beating me while driving the car. I knew then, if I stayed with him he’d kill me one day.
- Provided safety planning
- Provided explanation of legal process and options
- Access to family law attorney to file for and finalize divorce
- Support throughout legal process, including assistance in preparing for hearings
- Access to individual counseling to work through the trauma
- Access to regular support groups using yoga, art and journaling as forms of healing
- Support in applying to and attending conferences for survivors of violence
- Support in applying for graduate school and to secure stipend